Monday, February 2, 2009

Dear Mr. Obama

Dear President Obama,

I am currently an elementary school teacher in Raleigh, North Carolina. I have been a teacher now for about five years and as it stands now I am on a course to track out of this profession in the next few years.

I am a part, I believe, of a generation of teachers who is not going to submit themselves to the increasing degradation that educators are currently being subject to. While I have no doubt that it will sadden me greatly to leave what has been a primary choice of profession, I have come to a place where I feel that there is no other alternative.

The current and increasing expectations that are being placed on the schools of America have effectively taken the creativity out of the classroom, replacing it instead, with an ongoing series of preparation for another formal assessment. My students are increasingly over stressed and overanxious with regards to the demands that we place on them. Many have lost the love for learning, or worse still, not ever known this love in the first place.

I write today because I have hope, because I believe that change is possible and because I would like to trust that you are someone who may be able to enact a new direction. Please help me to change my direction and to continue to do what I love... educate.

Thank you for your time.

Respectfully,

Nate Barton

No comments:

Post a Comment